*** BBR Editorial Note: We get incredibly excited when we find people that embody the Body Beloved message. Katie M. McLaughlin is right on the money with this one! ***
12 Ways to Love Your Body Starting Right Now
When talking about romantic relationships, you’ll often hear quotes about love being more than just a feeling—it’s also an action. Love is a verb more so than a noun, they say. It’s as much about what you do as it is about how you feel.
I think the truth in that philosophy applies beyond our relationship with our partners or spouses; it’s also relevant to the way we think about (and, therefore, treat) our bodies.
In other words, if we want to love our bodies, we have to start acting like it!
Here are some ideas for how you can do just that, beginning this very second.
12 Ways to Love Your Body Starting Immediately
- Make a love list. Think about what you truly love about your body, and then actually write it down! Afterwards you can put the list in your wallet or tape it to your mirror—somewhere you’ll see it multiple times a day.
- Spoil your body. Take a long, hot bath. Go get a manicure (or give yourself one). Go for a stroll. Whatever will make your body feel especially good today.
- Dance! Bonus points if you get your partner or kids to join in.
- Eat something wonderful. What’s that one food that’s been on your mind lately? It could be anything from fresh seasonal fruit to a straight-from-the-oven brownie. Today, make the time to cook that food or buy it from the best place possible. Then eat it slowly and mindfully, savoring every bite.
- Laugh. In the gut-busting, ouch-my-sides-hurt kind of way!
- Celebrate your body with the one you love. Kiss. Hold hands. Have sex. Find a way to share your body with that special someone in a way that makes you both feel comfortable and loved.
- Stand tall. As you go throughout your day, walk with the confidence of someone who has self-esteem to spare. Head up, shoulders back. Often just looking confident will then translate into feeling confident.
- Dress the part.Ditch the oversized t-shirt and instead opt for clothes that are both comfortable and stylish.
- Break a sweat. Not as a form of punishment for eating ice cream, and not in a way that makes you feel like you’re going to die. Let’s aim for some joyful movement, instead.
- Marvel at the machine. Your body produces 300 billion new cells every day. Your liver can regenerate itself. And for some of us, our bodies created, grew, and delivered new life. What’s not to love?
- Take a nap. It will feel oh-so-good!
- Ditch the scale. My guess is that you think about your weight way, way, way too often. Forget the number, ignore the size, and move on with your day.
Did this article move you?
We hope this article inspired you to take some action and treat your body like the holy temple it is. How will you love your body today? Share with us in the comments section!